My photo


Christopher, or Chris as he appears on our church memorial, was born on Sunday 23rd March, 1890. The 1891 Census shows us that at that time he was living at 27 Nixon's Yard, Macclesfield with his Father, John, a general labourer, Mother, Eliza, who worked in the cotton industry, and his sister, Mary, aged six. Interestingly, at this time, the family surname is given as Kusick. It would appear that the family later changed the spelling of their surname to Cusick since Christopher's birth was registered with the surname Kusick yet his travel documents fourteen years later show he was using the surname Cusick.

Christopher was Baptised at St Alban's on 6th Aril 1890, when the Parish Priest was Fr James Robinson. Just over three years later, Eliza, Christopher's mother, died giving birth. We know Eliza died on 21st October 1893 and on 1st November, her baby son, Thomas, died aged ten days.

Christopher went on to become a pupil at St Alban's school. We do not know what he moved on to following school. His father had married machinist/shirt-maker, Dubliner Annie Murphy at St Alban's on 23rd September 1895. The couple had a son James, born on 26th July 1896 and continued to live in Nixon's Yard.

On 7th May 1905, aged 19, Christopher set off on the twelve day crossing for New York, with his sister Alice, to visit relatives living in the States. They sailed from Liverpool on the White Star Line steamship, 'Baltic'. The pair visited their uncle, Andrew Owen Ferguson, of Neptune Place, Scranton, Pennsylvania. Christopher and Alice returned to Liverpool in 11th July 1909 aboard the ocean liner 'Celtic'. We know Christopher and Alice later returned to the United States since the 'New York Passenger Arrival Lists of Ellis Island' tell us they landed back in New York again on 22nd July 1911, having sailed from Liverpool on the Cunard ocean liner, 'Campania'. This time Christopher visited their uncle, Peter Cusick, at Pleasant Street, Jamesville, Connecticut whereas Alice returned to Scranton to see her aunt, Mary Ferguson.

"The Times and East Cheshire Observer" reports Christopher served as a sailor in the States - possibly in the merchant navy - up until the outbreak of The Great War. Having obtained a discharge, he returned to the UK, assumedly sailing back to Liverpool, where he enlisted in The Cheshire Regiment. Following a period of training, he set off with the British Expeditionary Force to France.

In a letter home, Christopher described his experiences in the trenches and the surrounding areas:

"We are only ten yards from the Germans and I have got some good souvenirs which I picked up in a house that had been blown down. We have been to a city where there is not a home standing and you can see furniture and other household articles lying in the streets"

About six months after arriving in France, the 1st Cheshire Regiment was billet in Arras. The Battalion war diary reports one man was killed on 11th April when "three aerial torpedoes were sent over in the morning". It is thought that man was Christopher. The Times and East Cheshire Observer reported his death on 19th May 1916 under the heading "Killed by a Bomb: A solider and a sailor too". Christopher, a bomb-thrower, died age 26. He is buried in the Faubourg-D'Amiens Cemetery, Arras, where his headstone has the words, chosen by his stepmother, 'Worthy of Everlasting Love', engraved on it.


If you would like to share any information you have about someone named on our memorial, please email Ann,

This website honours the WWI casualities of St Alban's Catholic Church, Chester Road, Macclesfield

StAlban's WWII war dead